ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER’S INSTRUCTIONS ON ALL PACKAGING CAREFULLY TO ENSURE SAFE HANDLING AND STORAGE OF CHEMICALS.
Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions on all packaging carefully. Be familiar with emergency procedures, so that in the event of a chemical spill or accident, you will be able to act quickly.
- Keep chemicals out of the reach of children and pets.
- Store in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.
- Store in their original containers. Do not use contents of unlabeled containers.
- Containers should always be kept closed when not in use.
- Be sure storage area is well ventilated.
- Never store oxidizers and acid near each other. Oxidizers will release chlorine gas if they come in contact with acids.
- Do not store liquids above powders or solids. Do not stack containers.
- Do not store materials or chemicals above your head.
- Do not store pool chemicals near gasoline, fertilizers, herbicides, grease, paints, tile cleaners, turpentine, or flammable materials. This tip is especially important when pool chemicals are stored in sheds or small storage rooms.
- Do not reuse containers.
- Always read and follow the chemical’s instructions to ensure safe use of chemicals.
- Wear appropriate protective equipment and clothing including gloves, footwear and eyewear.
- Handle chemicals in a well ventilated area.
- Use separate, clean metal or plastic measuring cups for each chemical to transfer or measure chemicals. Never use wood scoops.
- Protect chemicals from moisture and water—such as a cup of water or coffee. Even putting the wet scoop back in the pail may cause a reaction.
- When applicable, always dilute chemicals by adding to water, never the other way around unless the container’s label instructs you to do so.
- Do not mix different chemicals together.
- Do not put spilled chemicals back into their containers.
- Do not smoke when handling chemicals.
- Do not expose to heat or flames.
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY:
EYES: If you get any chemicals in your eyes, flush them immediately with water for 15 minutes and get immediate medical attention. See instructions on the chemical packaging.
SKIN: If you get any chemicals on your skin, flush them immediately with water and get immediate medical attention.
INHALATION: If you have a burning sensation in your nose or throat, feel dizzy, nauseous or vomit, and/or have difficulty breathing while handling chemicals or after handling chemicals, get fresh air immediately and get immediate medical attention.
INGESTION: If any pool chemicals are swallowed, call the poison center immediately. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed.
FIRE: If a fire breaks out, do not use a “dry chemical” fire extinguisher. Only use large amounts of water. If you can’t extinguish the flame immediately, leave the area and call the fire department.
CHEMICAL SPILLS: Immediately clean up any chemical spills according to manufacturer’s directions. If a violent reaction has occurred, contact the fire department immediately and they will instruct you on steps to take until their arrival, if any.